April 30, 2012

John Collinges (1623–1690) on God's Willingness to Save Sinners

Secondly, Nay, consider, his will is not only full enough of power, but there is an earnestness of desire in his will to save the greatest sinners, that leaving their sins, will turn to him; this will be easily enough evinced from his expressions and actions, tending to that end; He speaks, he swears, he pleads, he expostulates, he weeps, he invites, he comes, he dies.

1. He speaks, that you have heard, he saith, I will save scarlet, crimson, sinners; I will say to them that are in their blood, live, I will pour out water upon the unclean.

2. He swears, and hath bid us to tell you his oath Ezek. 33.61. say unto them, As I live (saith the Lord) I desire not the death of a sinner, but had rather that he should turn from his wickedness and live. Lo, he could swear by no greater, he swears by himself. O happy creatures (saith Turtullian) for whom God is pleased to put himself to his oath! O unbelieving wretches, if we will not trust our God swearing! Yes further,

3. He pleads, Turn yee, turn ye from your evil ways, why will ye die O ye house of Israel? Micah 6.3. O my people! what have I done to thee? and wherein have I wearied thee? testify against me. He expostulates, Isai. 5.4. What could I have done more, for my vineyard then I have done? Wherefore when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?

4. He appeals to the mountains and foundations of the earth, Mic. 6. 1, 2, 3. to the sinners themselves, Isa. 5. 3, 4. Judge now O yee inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem.

5. He wishes groaning, Deu. 5. 29. O that there were such an heart in them that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and their children for ever. And again, Deut. 32.29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, and would consider their latter-end.

6. He professeth he knoweth not how to destroy them, Hosea 11. 8. How shall I give thee up Ephraim? How shall I deliver thee O Israel? How shall I make thee as Admah? How shall I set thee as Zeboim, my heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.

7. He weeps when he comes nigh Jerusalem, he wept over it, and said, O Jerusalem, Jerusalem --- how oft would I have gathered thee, as an hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, but thou wouldst not? Mat. 23. 37, 38. Christ would, but the sinner would not.

8. He invites, Isa. 55. 1, 2, 3. Ho, every one that thirsteth come ye to the waters, & he that hath no money come, yea buy and eat without money, and without price; and again, ver. 3. Incline your ear and come unto me, and your soul shall live; Hark how he calls, Mat. 11.29. Come unto me all ye that are weary, and heavy laden, and I will ease you. The Father saith come, the Son saith come, the Spirit saith come, you that are in the hedges come, he sends out his servants to highway-people, Mat. 22.9. To as many as are found there; why stay you disputing his will, when he so often saith come, come? Rev. 22. 17. The Spirit and the Bride say come, and let him that heareth say come, and let him that is athirst come, and whosoever will let him drink of the water of life freely. Is not all this enough to let thee know God is willing, and Christ is willing to receive thee? Lo, Christ will come to thee.

9. See that essence of glory, bowing the Heavens and coming down, laying aside his robes of Majesty, & putting on thy filthy garments, see him tiring himself in going about from place to place, upon no other errand than this, to cry at the markets, Oh, if any sinners love life, happiness, if any will go to heaven, let them come to me, I will show them the way to my fathers bosom, and endear them to my fathers heart. Read his Sermons, observe his pains, thou wilt find a willing Saviour, not excepting publicans, and harlots from the kingdom of God.

10. Wouldst thou have more tokens of his will yet? See him dying, hanging upon the cross, dropping out his last blood, breathing out his last breath, stretching out his dying arms to encircle sinners should run in to him, breathing out the breath of free grace in his very last act upon a thief that had not an hour to live; Who shall despair? who shall say Christ is not willing to save him, and not blaspheme eternal love? speak truth! corrupt heart say thou art not willing to be saved.

11. Is not this yet enough? Observe him setting Ministers in his Church, lest thou shouldst not read, and none should tell thee the truth of his eternal love, to speak out his good will in thine ears: All our errand is nothing but this, sinners Christ is willing to save you, And as Embassadours for Christ as though God did beseech you by us, we pray you in Christ, stead to be yee reconciled to God 2 Cor. 5,20. Why canst thou not believe his will? Consider in thy Saviours will, there is not only a latitude for, but an eagernesse of thy eternall salvation: Why therefore doest thou say, my sins are so great that God will not pardon me? Believe, O blaspheme not the God of infinite good-will.
John Collinges, "A Cordial for a Fainting Soul," in The Works of John Collings, Vol. 1 (London, Printed for Richard Tomlins at the Sun and Bible in Pye-corner, 1655), 56–58.

Bio:
Wiki
DNB


It sounds like Collinges was familiar with Isaac Ambrose's (1604–1664) words here (or vice versa):
Who shall say, Christ is not willing to save him, and not blaspheme eternal Love? Speak Truth: Corrupt Hearts speak Truth; say not Christ is unwilling, but you are unwilling; I would, but ye would not.
Isaac Ambrose, Looking Unto Jesus: A View of the Everlasting Gospel; Or, the Soul’s Eyeing of Jesus as Carrying on the Great Work of Man’s Salvation, from First to Last (Edinburgh: Printed for James Ormiston, 1723), 246–247.

No comments: