October 25, 2014

Thomas Wilcox (c.1549–1608) on Christ's Willingness to Save Sinners

Wilcox describes Jesus talking to two kinds of lost individuals, the Publican and the Pharisee:

P[ublican]. And art thou willing, Lord, that I should be saved?

J[esus]. Yes, I am willing that all should be saved, and come to the Knowledge of the Truth, 1 Tim 2:4.
Thomas Wilcox, A Guide to Eternal Glory (London: Printed for C. Hitch, and L. Lawes, in Pater-noster-Row; and J. Hodges, near London Bridge, 1755), 23.
Ph[arisee]. I see thou dost reject me: I thought to be one of thy Disciples, and to follow thee. 

C[hrist]. No, I do not reject thee, but am very willing to receive thee; but first consider what thou dost, and what it will cost thee, if thou wilt be my Disciple and follow me.
Ibid., 38–39.

Bio:
Wiki
DNB

No comments: